The Walla Walla Symphony
Celebrating great music since 1907
The Walla Walla Symphony delights and challenges our community by providing live orchestral performances and opportunities for learning about music.
We will cultivate a growing appreciation for symphonic music in Walla Walla by attracting enthusiastic audiences to programs of the highest artistic quality and by providing wonderful experiences and deep and rich education programs for the benefit of the Walla Walla community.
Who We Are:
The Walla Walla Symphony is committed to making our region a better place to live through awakening a passion for the arts in as many people as possible. With over a century’s experience training and developing countless generations of classical musicians and music lovers, we have been and continue to be a vital thread in the arts and cultural fabric of Walla Walla. As the oldest continually-operating symphony orchestra west of the Mississippi, we are the only arts organization in our community capable of providing world-class full symphonic and classical music experiences.
Each season we continue our legacy of impacting people through music by offering symphonic concerts, fully staged ballets such as the Holiday favorite The Nutcracker, and, because we believe no child with a love for music should be deprived because of socioeconomic status, extensive, free and low-cost offerings for youth and families.
Our free and low-cost programs for youth and families emphasize not only breadth (how many youth can we impact with this program?) but also depth (how profoundly was each child’s life impacted?). We provide a vital service to rural students and their families with little exposure to live instrumental music. Our educational programs include:
- Free Walla Walla Symphony Youth Orchestra, which provides young musicians in grades 8-12 each year with in-depth education, mentoring and performance experience;
- Free Kid’s Rock Camp, which brings high-need and at-risk youth a free week-long summer camp led by professional rock and blues musicians providing both performance experience and hands-on mentoring;
- Free In-School Performances where professional musicians partner with local schools to provide free classes, lectures and concerts;
- Free Youth and Family Concerts accompanied by educational curricula and free transportation for 2,700 3rd-5th graders every year; and our
- Free Instrument Lending Library, which provides student musicians with free instrument loans to allow them to pursue their training without the financial barrier of purchasing and maintaining a professional-quality instrument of their own.